Why am I Seeing the Error Codec Not Supported?
Many smart TV vendors are listing video formats as supported video formats on their official websites. We as customers trust this information at the time of purchase, but sometimes this information is only partially true.
When you are trying to play a video file (using a USB or by casting it) on a smart TV, you’re actually dependant on two factors that should be supported by the smart TV: the first, is the video format (MP4, AVI, MKV, etc.). The second, is the video codec (H.264, H.265, etc.). The reason why the video codec is so important, is because the video format is usually only just the video container, but the video content itself, is compressed using a special algorithm which is known as the video codec. Without the TV supporting this codec, the video file won’t play.
Some of the issues you might run into are a black screen on Samsung smart TV, seeing video without audio or sometimes only audio without video. Also, it’s possible that you’ll see and error when trying to play the video, or a few minutes after playing the video, saying “Codec not supported“.
How to Get a Video to Play on a LG / Samsung Smart TV?
So to fix the issue described above, we actually need to make sure that the video format and video codec that are used in your movie file are supported by the smart TV. For most Samsung smart TV models, you can find the list of supported video formats and codecs here.
But, there is no actual need to go through them, as VIP Video Converter already supports converting the video file and adjusting it to always work on your TV.
All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Download and install VIP Video Converter.
- Open the software, Choose MP4 as the output format at the top video formats menu.
- Choose “MP4 – Same Quality” as the output profile, which will make sure that you’re performing a lossless quality conversion. Please note that this output profile (which includes the MP4 format and H264 video codec) is already optimized to convert to Samsung Smart TVs.
- Click Add Files and choose the video file that you would like to play on your Samsung TV.
- Click Start Converting. The conversion to a Samsung smart TV compatible format will begin.
- Once the conversion is done, you’re ready to copy the new converted video file to the USB key and play it on your TV.
If you’re looking for a video converter that will allow you to convert more than 200 video and audio formats, easily and quickly, please consider our award winning premium video converter, VIP Video Converter. You can try it out for free. We hope you’ll like it the same way we do 🙂Download VIP Video Converter Now