What is Plex?
Plex is used as a media server, allowing you to turn any folder with media (video / audio) to a TV experience. All you need to do is install Plex Media Server on a computer or a compatible NAS device where the media is stored, open the Plex app from any device and start streaming the media to your chosen device, such as living room TV.
Plex is very widely adopted in many countries and some will say it’s the best media streamer out there (though, what about Chromecast then?).
Why I can’t play MP4 / MKV files on Plex Media Server?
Plex Media Player supports various media formats, but mainly the following two video formats:
- MP4, encoded with one of the following codecs: H.264, H.265 (HEVC), mpeg4, VC-1.
- MKV video files, encoded with one of the following codecs: H.264, H.265 (HEVC), mpeg4, VC-1
So why can’t you play an MP4 or an MKV movie if the documentation says it’s supported? Well, in most cases, the video codec is the fault. Your video file was probably encoded with a different video codec than the ones listed in the supported list.
How to play an MKV / MP4 file on Plex Media Player?
If you have a video file that can’t be streamed by Plex Media Server, all you need to do is to make sure it’s encoded with the a supported video format and video codec. In this case, we recommend to go with MP4 as the video format and H.264 as the video codec. But you don’t really have to know the details, we got a step-by-step instructions for you to follow to fix your video / movie file and stream it with Plex directly to your TV:
- Download and install VIP Video Converter.
- Open VIP Video Converter and choose MP4 as the output format at the top video formats menu.
- Choose “MP4 – Same Quality” as the output profile, which will make sure that you’re performing a lossless quality conversion. Please note that this output profile (which includes the MP4 format and H264 video codec) is already optimized to be streamed by Plex Media Server.
- Click Add Files and choose the video file that you would like to stream using Plex.
- Click Start Converting. The conversion to a Plex compatible format will begin.
- Once the conversion is done, you’re ready to play the video file via Plex.
If you’re looking for a video converter that will allow you to convert more than 200 video and audio formats, easily and quickly, please consider our award winning premium video converter, VIP Video Converter. You can try it out for free. We hope you’ll like it the same way we do 🙂Download VIP Video Converter Now